As a mother, I often think about what is most important to teach my girls in life and how to do it. I really like the quote "When you go out into the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together" which is taken from the book listed in the title of this post. Ever since I have been a little kiddie, I've tried to extend myself to show love and support. At times I care so much that it becomes a fault to over accommodate others and don't pay close enough attention to the traffic. I know... DOIYYY... Nonetheless, I usually choose to stick together with others to show I really care, even if they are different than me, sometimes I am not really wanted there, sometimes I really don't want to be there, or I know I might be made fun of because of it...which is hard. Sometimes I really come up short, but hope that what I teach and how I live will somehow workout for Sophie and Emma in life.
Anyway, I was thinking...Why did I get choked up when Emma and Sophie started school this year? Is it just the milestone? My own response..I think it was hard to send the girls off this year knowing that I am a out of the loop with "on the scene supervision" at school if something goes wrong on the playground for multiple recesses, in the classroom, or stick up for them if for some reason they are bullied. I wonder if others maximize on a teaching opportunities and if my girls are accepted among classmates. Let's face it, we all know that girls (and boys for that matter) can be very mean.
I believe the down right dirty, dirty mean article Heather Mallick wrote this month about Sarah Palin, no matter if you support her or not, is a perfect example of mean girls in adult form. I guess you can say she didn't backstab in this article.
I don't want my kids to be the ones that instigate mean-spiritedness or hang around friends that are like a terrible Queen Bee leading the wanna bee's along into mischief. Girls can be tricky and I have personally seen and know girls that pow-wow together to find reasons why it is important to intentionally exclude or be mean to another. These girls simply have no idea or care about how hurtful and damaging it can be, especially when the dialog of conversations or actions surface to the excluded party, which happens.
Life can be complicated when unfair judgements are made and then emotions and actions get stirred up. I believe this happens because of limited knowledge and maturity.
So how can I teach my girls to not participate in mean-spirited or emotionally damaging activities at a young age? To help them choose for themselves to apply the law of love and kindness, yet not put themselves into danger or open themselves into doing something ridiculous? What can I do as a mother to teach them what I believe is CORE to a better way of living: find healthy ways to apply inclusion, love, and reaching out to others independent of race, religion, smell, status, socio-economic status, or physical appearance ALWAYS. It's tricky! (and can be hard for me some days) So far, I haven't had to face this issue with them, but I'm sure it will come.
I believe that teaching this particular concept will be a long process reinforced over numerous years, with multiple events. Since I don't have to solve this one today, I ask that we girls stick together on this one and I welcome any suggestions or ideas on how to counsel and provide appropriate solutions to those odd girlie situations. Anyone? :)
Friday, September 19, 2008
Mean Girls....what happened to "All I need to know I learned in Kindergarten"
Posted by Wendi at 10:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I absolutely love this post. You really have always been a great example of accepting and loving others, and your girls have certainly seen this. YOur example will surely rub off on them. By the way, we were driving on a trip and my girls were watching that movie, and half way thru, Brandon took it out and threw it out the window. It was hilarious...he felt so strongly about it. It also took the lords name in vain a lot, and until we sat down and really listened to it we hadn't really heard it. Funny story.
I have those same fears about my own 2 girls. You're right, girls can be MEAN. I think if you're doing the things you say in this post, (which you are) then you're girls will definately take notice. We talk ALOT about how we treat others, and just hope that when they're put in situations, no matter what side they're on, that they behave the way that they KNOW they should!
Post a Comment