Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Those Mutha UG Days

I don't think it is ironic that when we pretend to be cave people, we say "ug ug." To me, an UG day=a day where the hair is absolutely rebellious, your clothes just don't look right, you feel a little chunky, and even with makeup on you look tired or unkept (cave woman at her finest.)


I think it is natural for women to be hard on themselves, especially when we are absolutely bombarded by a false impression of what we are "supposed" to look like. I admit that I have my UG days, especially after having 2 kids! Yet, I find myself feeling quite disappointed when I come across other women who are very beautiful and are completely dissatisfied and oblivious to how beautiful and special they are inside and out.

The statement "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" is quite powerful and thanks to the media and living in one of the most religious states for plastic surgery, it messes with my vision at times. There are days that I just need a different pair of prescriptive lenses/shades and other days where wish that I had a few extra to pass around. When I have days like this, the song Video by India Arie and Beautiful by Christina Aguilera are great for a little self esteem boost.
Over the past few months, I have been working on my perspective about different aspects of my life. When my "UG" thoughts have crept in, I change the perspective or environment specifically regarding the thought patterns surrounding it. I focus on the triggers and then change to find the beauty of what is going on at the exact current moment. (From breath, sounds, my kiddies, my anatomical and physiological things that work for me, and humorously my VS Very Sexy Bra (It does amazing things for the flat-chested)
In writing about this, I hope to encourage a positive self esteem for those around me. I figure the best way to do this is to encourage each other as mothers, sisters, and friends. If we get it right or learn a few secrets, then hopefully our new ideas and can be passed along to our kids (boys or girls), family members, friends, co-workers, or even a stranger we meet. I know I am not the only one that sees this as a problem. Dove has an entire campaign surrounding this exact issue in young children. You've probably seen some of their commercials in the past. Anyway, if you are having an UG day (and we all have them) I hope that you remember that you are so much more than how "you think/feel" you look today.

5 comments:

Jen Coccimiglio said...

so it might not seem possible that i could be THAT stupid...but how did i just realize that you had a blog?????

i JUST discovered that you could click on the name of the person who left a comment and that would connect you to their blog!!!

what a jackpot!! now i can read your stuff!!! and you've had it since january!!! so many exclamation points...so little time!!!

comments on blogs back and forth is about the greatest thing since diet coke and peanut m&m's. i am so excited!! I can't even form a coherent thought!

have a good one and i'll keep checking in!

The Coccimiglios said...

I am so excited that you love that video song. Well you never said you love it but i'll just say that you do because I love it to!

Julie said...

Thanks for posting this! I feel like I've been in "UG"-ville since I had Avery. The weight isn't coming off, which means I don't have any cute clothes to wear, which means I NEVER feel put together. You are so great, and always so upbeat and happy and ALWAYS seem put together. Do you give lessons? If so, please sign me up!

The Mendez Family said...

I don't know who Julie is, but I went to post a comment and when I saw hers, I thought about copying and pasting it! She said exactly what I was going to say, even down to the name of her daughter!! How crazy! Anyway, I often have UG days ~ they come with the territory of motherhood. I loved that video link (media) and watched it twice. Thanks for posting this!

Anderson4 said...

I completely understand UG days, I find it hard to believe that you have many of those!!! Beautiful Wendi!!!

Hang in there!! I love your approach to changing your thought process, I am going to try that!!!

Love Ya,

Stacey