Sunday, June 15, 2008

It's daddy's day, Big Lew!



I have dinner plans with daddy-o in a bit. I have been thinking about him and laughing. I am really greatful that he is part of my life. Here is my top-10 of why my dad is great. I'll upload some more pics a little later.

10-Emergency Preparedness- Whether you think you need emergency preparedness items or not, he's got you covered. Not only does he seek out what is cool, but he stocks up, sells them to the community wholesale, and hooks his kids up.

9-Work-By the time I was 8 years old, I was down at my dad's deli working, cleaning, and eating. Independent of how large the backyard or how heavy the trampoline was for my twiggy arms, I was mowing the lawn and moving the trampoline (to mow underneath it) by myself before jr. high. He taught me to figure things out, get things done, not complain, and work up the sweat to do it. He grew up on a farm, and I appreciate him passing along the value of work.
8-Comedy factor- There are so many similarities to movie characters which bust the entire family up. He always has hysterical home project stories which end up in a total nightmare. It never ends!! Here are a few movie characters which the family refers to and a clip which best explains my #7.
  • Uncle Buck played by John Candy in Uncle Buck
  • Jack Chester played by John Candy in Summer Rental
  • Chet Ripley played by John Candy in Great Outdoors
  • George Banks played by Steve Martin in Father of the Bride




7- He tears apart the kitchen to make the best breakfast anyone could dream of. He's been complimented on it so much that, in recent years, he decided to expand it to the community. Last year, nearly 2000 residents, the murray police force, the murray city mayor, the missionaries, and murray city fire department ate pancakes, eggs, tons of different kinds of fresh fruit, bacon, and sausage while washing it down with milk and OJ at his wacked out "labor day breakfast." He's done this now for about 5 years. It is hysterical. He made the news last year..ha ha ..so funny.


6- He loads up on "cool toys" so that the grandkids are stocked with every type of mobile object or unique toy to play with outside. The kids are never bored when they go to grandpa's house. He bought all the girl grandchildren "Bella Dancerella" cheerleader stuff. What grandpa does that?!! ha ha.

5- He is a spiritual man. He is very knowledgeable and always tries to come up with creative ways to teach. He is fascinated with pre-mortal life, post mortal life, and the last days. He understands the bible and enjoys reading. I appreciate that.


4- He can't pass up a good sale. (and I thought this only applied to girls!!) This is exceptionally true when it comes to food. When grocery stores are losing money on an item (discovered by a food ad in the paper) he makes "the rounds" to all the grocery stores, buys enough for his entire family, then delivers it to his kids houses around town. Pretty cool. Thanks to him, the love of eating "REAL" cheese and drinking milk will never leave my blood.

3- He is a giver-His nickname is BIG LEW-which fits him so well. He is "big and burly" on the outside, but a tenderheart on the inside. Giving is a big part of "who he is." Every week, he makes amazing fruit and veggie trays and hand delivers them to widows in the neighborhood, those who just had a death in the family, and others who are having a hard time in life. Its all part of his "rounds."

2- The Nicknames-He has "nicknames" or "special chants" for everyone. I could list a million, but I'll spare you and just list what he calls my girls.

For Sophie, he chants, "Sophie, Sophie where's your trophy?" while doing a jig anytime he greets her.

For Emma: "Auntie Em oh Auntie Em" (said in a high pitched taunting voice of the wicked witch of the east from Wizard of Oz.)

1-The number one reason why I love my dad is because I know he loves me and I am important to him. He adores and is super proud of his family.

Throughout my life, and even now as I am older, he will come and very loudly cheer for me and my team at indoor or outdoor soccer games. He cheers for my girls at their games, recitals, or special events. He has been in attendance at the most brutal of dance performances or competitions, track meets, and basketball or volleyball games. Not only does he do this for me and my kids, but also for my siblings and his other grandkids. He taught me how to snow and water ski, hold a rifle, shoot a better basket, and love motorcycle rides. He's always encouraged me scholastically and in his own funny way tells me I am a pretty gal. He has taught me what it means to reach out to others and give back to the community.

What more could a girl ask for, eh? Thanks dad... I love you, man!!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Great minds do think alike! Your dad sounds so awesome. I think I've only seen him a couple of times. What a great guy!

Amy said...

Wendi, I think your dad is one of the funniest guys around. I have hysterical memories of our dads together! Happy Father's Day, "big lew"

Wendy A said...

Lew is one of a kind! What a great tribute!

Rachel Johnson said...

Hi Wendi! I am so glad I found your blog! xo

Amanda Mendez said...

What a sweet post about your dad :) I loved reading it, so I'm sure he did too!